The parlor is the only room remaining from “The Hermitage”, Arthur St. Clair’s Ligonier Valley estate. The property was situated about two miles north of Ligonier Borough and was described on the 1798 Direct Tax List as “1 story dwelling house 90′ by 18, wood, 14 windows, 16′ square kitchen, 1 shingled roof barn, 1 grist mill with 2 pair stones, 1 saw mill”. An iron furnace was added in the early 1800’s. The parlor is of log construction; the logs were apparently always covered by siding.
All furnishings in the parlor are from the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. The tall case clock was made by Simon Willard in Roxbury, Massachusetts, c.1790. The carpet is an eighteenth century Isphahan. The wing chair is English from about 1725 and the other chairs and saddle-seat stool are English from the mid eighteenth century. Items which belonged to the St. Clair family include the pastel portrait of St. Clair over the mantel, the mahogany tray with silver medallion, and the silhouettes of Arthur and Phoebe St. Clair. The original oil painting of St. Clair in blue and buff military uniform, by French artist Jean Pierre Henri Elouis, c. 1795, was the gift of a local donor.
St. Clair, formerly Major-General in the Continental Army, President of the Confederation Congress, and Governor of the Northwest Territory, had planned “The Hermitage” complex to provide financial support for himself and his family in retirement, but mounting debts forced the sale of the property in 1809.